National Science Teachers Summer School
The National Youth Science Forum, with support from The Australian National University (ANU), has been running the National Science Teachers Summer School (NSTSS) as a professional development program for many years. The program is for both experienced and new science teachers at secondary and senior secondary schools across Australia.
The aim of the NSTSS is to ignite the participant teachers’ passion for science, to engage them in a professional dialogue about teaching and learning, and to explore ways of engaging students in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
The NSTSS 2017 will be held in Canberra, at ANU, between Monday 9th – Friday 13th January 2017.
The NSTSS is part of the NYSF’s suite of programs to inform young people about the study and career pathways within STEM so they may make informed decisions and reach their full potential. The program coincides with the second week of Session A of the NYSF January Sessions and the synergies between the two programs are obvious.
Applications for the 2017 NSTSS closed on Wednesday 30th November 2016. If you are interested in participating in this program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NSTSS 2017 Program
The program for NSTSS 2017 is still being developed (see the link at the bottom of this page for a draft), and will be released shortly. To give you a taste for what to expect, at NSTSS 2016 teacher participants:
- Learnt about the latest developments in science from world-leading researchers;
- Visited first-class laboratories and teaching facilities at The Australian National University and other sites in Canberra and the region, including the CSIRO, the Tidbinbilla Deep Space Tracking Station and Geoscience Australia;
- Toured the National Computational Infrastructure and saw up close the power and interactive nature of modern data manipulation methods and their applications;
- Spent an evening looking at the stars at the ANU Mount Stromlo Observatory;
- Learned how to bring science alive in the classroom with presentations and interactive workshops on a range of STEM topics;
- Participated in a live cross to the CERN Large Hadron Collider and learn about the ground breaking research happening at that international facility;
- Networked with like-minded peers; and
- Interacted with 200 of Australia’s leading science students, participating in the National Youth Science Forum 2016.
Comments from previous participants
“I (now) feel confident to inspire my students into the fields of science and engineering. There are so many opportunities out there and it is our role to ensure they are exposed to these fields.”
“I experienced the thrill of science and was exposed to cutting edge, real science and it was exciting. It enriched my teaching of science, giving me experiences to enrich my classroom teaching.”
|Dates:||Arrive by 4pm Sunday 08 January; depart the morning of Saturday 14 January 2017.|
If you have any questions, email email@example.com in the first instance.
The draft 2017 NSTSS Program can be found here: static.nysf.edu.au/teachers/NSTSS 2017 program.pdf
Intern at the National Science Teachers Summer School
For the first time, the NYSF is offering two internship opportunities for NSTSS 2017. The successful applicants will assist with the day to day operations of the program, such as liaising with speakers, managing transport and arranging catering. In exchange, the interns get to attend all NSTSS sessions and participate in the program without paying the NSTSS registration fee.
This role would ideally suit a someone currently studying Secondary Education, and who has a strong interest in STEM teaching. Applicants do not need to be alumni of the NYSF January Sessions.
You need to be available for the entire duration of the NSTSS program: from the afternoon of Sunday 08 January to the morning of Saturday 14 January 2017. There will be evening work required. The NYSF will cover lunch and dinner for the duration of the program; however, travel, accommodation, and parking costs are not included.
Download the full overview document for these internship opportunities: static.nysf.edu.au/teachers/NSTSS 2017 Internship Program.pdf.